Boling History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Boling family
The surname Boling was first found in Lancashire and Yorkshire. For the Yorkshire branch, the name was thought to have been derived from a local name Bowling, a chapelry near Bradford, but census records are relatively late for this name as the first found was Tristram Bollyng of Bradford c. 1580. The same reference states that his grandson Robert Bollyng was a "sadler and silk trowster" residing in London. To confuse matters more, the name could also have been a baptismal name as "the son of Bolling".
Important Dates for the Boling family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Boling research. Another 199 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1476, 1316 and 1485 are included under the topic Early Boling History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Boling Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Boling are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. Scribes and monks in the Middle Ages spelled names they sounded, so it is common to find several variations that refer to a single person. The variations of the name Boling include: Bolling, Bowling, Boling, Bollings, Bollinge and many more.
Early Notables of the Boling family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Boling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Boling migration to the United States
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Boling or a variant listed above:
Typical Boling Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Boling Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Boling, aged 26, who arrived in Missouri in 1838 
- Ramon Boling, aged 23, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1838 
- Charles Henry Boling, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1844 
- Christina Boling, aged 7, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1846 
- Joseph Boling, aged 55, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1846 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Boling (post 1700)
- John Boling (1884-1932), American racecar driver
- Clint Boling (b. 1989), American football guard
- Robert Boling (b. 1962), professional Australian rules footballer
- Kim Boling (b. 1992), Finnish footballer
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)