The surname is one of the oldest family names to came from that French region known as Languedoc.It is derived from the
Blaise. As such, it means "son of Blaise."
The surname Blazin was first found in Languedoc.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Blazin research.Another 191 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1459, 1600, 1675, 1707, 1719, and 1844 are included under the topic Early Blazin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
The many different spellings of French surnames can be partially explained by the use of local
dialects and by the influence of other languages during the early development of the French language. As a result of these linguistic and cultural influences, the name Blazin is distinguished by a number of regional variations. The many spelling variations
of the name include Blais, Blaies, Blay, Blaise, de Blais, de Blaies, de Blaise, Blaize, Blaison, Blaisot and many more.
Migration from France to New France or Quebec as it was now more popularly called, continued from France until it fell in 1759. By 1675, there were 7000 French in Quebec. By the same year the Acadian presence in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island had reached 500. In the treaty of Utrecht, the Acadians were ceded by France to Britain in 1713. In 1755, 10,000 French Acadians refused to take an oath of allegiance to England
and were deported. They found refuge in Louisiana. In 1793, the remaining French in these provinces came under British rule. Meanwhile, in Quebec, the French race flourished, founding in Lower Canada, one of the two great solitudes which became Canada. Many of this distinguished family name Blazin were prominent in social, cultural, religious and political affairs in France and New France. Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Blazin were L.B. Blais, who settled in San Francisco in 1856; Pierre and François Blais, who settled in the parish of St. François in 1720; Eugene Blais, who settled in the parish of Sainte Petronille in 1874.