Bissaker History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Bissaker family
The surname Bissaker was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1182 when held Ralph de Besacre was once held.
Early History of the Bissaker family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bissaker research. Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1382, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Bissaker History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bissaker Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Bissaker has been spelled many different ways, including Biskell, Bissaker, Bisseker, Bisaker, Bisacre and others.
Early Notables of the Bissaker family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bissaker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bissaker family
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Bissakers to arrive in North America: Adam Bischel, aged 10, who arrived at Ellis Island, in 1903; and Louisa Bischel, aged 46, who arrived at Ellis Island, in 1903.