Birdwood History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Birdwood family
The surname Birdwood was first found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times. This name has undergone many changes throughout the centuries. Conjecturally, the family name emerged from Birdswald, a Clan seated on Hadrian's Wall in Cumberland, at the station known as Amboglanna. The name was corrupted into Birdoswald, Birdwood, Birdworth, Birdswood, and Birdsworth.
Important Dates for the Birdwood family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Birdwood research. Another 73 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1603 is included under the topic Early Birdwood History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Birdwood Spelling Variations
Intuition and sound were the primary sources medieval scribes used to judge appropriate spellings and translations for names. The spelling of a name thus varied according to who was doing the recording. The different spelling variations of Birdwood include Birdoswald, Birdwald, Birdweld, Birdwell, Birdwood, Birdworth, Birdswood, Birdsworth, Beardwall, Beardwell, Berdwall, Berdwell, Beardwood, Beardworth and many more.
Early Notables of the Birdwood family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Birdwood Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Birdwood family
In their new home, Scots found land and opportunity, and some even fought for their new freedom in the American War of Independence. Some, who remained loyal to the crown went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In this century, the ancestors of both of these groups have begun recovering their illustrious national heritage through Clan societies and other Scottish historical organizations. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the Birdwood name: Matthew Beardwood who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1856.
Contemporary Notables of the name Birdwood (post 1700)
- Christopher Bromhead Birdwood MVO (1899-1962), 2nd Baron Birdwood, a British hereditary peer, soldier and author
- Mark William Ogilvie Birdwood (1938-2015), 3rd Baron Birdwood, a British peer and politician
- Herbert Mills Birdwood (1837-1907), the Acting governor of Bombay during the British Raj in 1895
- Jane Birdwood (1913-2000), Baroness Birdwood, wife of Lord Birdwood
- Sir George Christopher Molesworth Birdwood KCIE , MD (1832-1917), Anglo-Indian official, naturalist and writer
- William Riddell Birdwood (1865-1951), 1st Baron Birdwood, British (India born), First World War general, best known as the commander of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) during the Battle of Gallipoli