Birdwell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Birdwell family
The surname Birdwell was first found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times. This name has undergone many changes throughout the centuries. Conjecturally, the family name emerged from Birdswald, a Clan seated on Hadrian's Wall in Cumberland, at the station known as Amboglanna. The name was corrupted into Birdoswald, Birdwood, Birdworth, Birdswood, and Birdsworth.
Early History of the Birdwell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Birdwell research. Another 73 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1603 is included under the topic Early Birdwell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Birdwell Spelling Variations
In the Middle Ages, no real standards were established to judge the accuracy of spelling and translation. They were done mostly by ear and intuition, and enormous numbers of spelling variations were the unsurprising result. Birdwell has appeared as Birdoswald, Birdwald, Birdweld, Birdwell, Birdwood, Birdworth, Birdswood, Birdsworth, Beardwall, Beardwell, Berdwall, Berdwell, Beardwood, Beardworth and many more.
Early Notables of the Birdwell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Birdwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Birdwell migration to the United States +
North America was far from Britain's oppressive monarchy. There, the Scottish found land and freedom, and many even the opportunity to pay back England in the American War of Independence. This brave heritage survives today largely in Clan societies and other patriotic Scottish organizations. Research into passenger and immigration lists has brought forth evidence of the early members of the Birdwell family in North America:
Birdwell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edwin Birdwell, aged 28, who arrived in America, in 1910
- Leroy Birdwell, aged 22, who arrived in America, in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Birdwell (post 1700) +
- Florence Gillam Birdwell (1924-2021), American educator, musician, and singer
- Zane Birdwell, American Grammy award-winning recording engineer, sound designer, and composer
- George William Birdwell (1894-1932), American bank robber and outlaw, one of Pretty Boy Floyd's closest known associates
- Dan Birdwell (1940-1978), American college and professional AFL football player
- Brian D. Birdwell (b. 1961), American Republican politician from Granbury, Texas, Member of the Texas Senate from the 22nd district 
Related Stories +