Billson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Billson family
The surname Billson was first found in Warwickshire where in "the Domesday Book [of 1086] there are four Bellisons, one Belson, and one Bilson, all evidently of the same stock, namely, Bellson (i.e. the son of Isabella). Bilson is an easy variant of Belson. " 
This author continues "there is no evidence in favour of 'the son of Bill,' i.e. William." 
Early History of the Billson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Billson research. Another 151 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1544, 1561, 1613, 1606, 1627, 1547 and 1616 are included under the topic Early Billson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Billson Spelling Variations
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several different spellings in a single lifetime. The various spellings include Bilson, Billson, Bilsonn and others.
Early Notables of the Billson family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Billson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Billson migration to the United States +
Many English families left England, to avoid the chaos of their homeland and migrated to the many British colonies abroad. Although the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and some travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, once in the colonies, many of the families prospered and made valuable contributions to the cultures of what would become the United States and Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Billson or a variant listed above:
Billson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Billson, who settled in Philadelphia in 1868
Billson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Frank Billson, aged 23, who landed in America from Markfield, in 1906
- A.J. Billson, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1908
- Edward Billson, aged 21, who landed in America from Dalbeattie, Scotland, in 1910
- Alice Billson, aged 32, who immigrated to America from London, England, in 1911
- Ernest Billson, aged 23, who settled in America from Leichester, England, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)