on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish, Swedish
Where did the Irish Bergin family come from? What is the Irish Bergin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bergin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bergin family history?The original Gaelic form of Bergin was O hAimheirgin. Aimhirgin means "wondrous birth."
The search for the origins of the name Bergin family name revealed numerous spelling variations. These variants can be somewhat accounted for when it is realized that before widespread literacy people only recognized their name by pronunciation; it was up to scribes to decide how it was to be formally recorded. Variations found include Bergin, Berrigan, Baragan, Bergan, Bergen, Mergin, O'Bergin, O'Bergyn, MacBergin and many more.
First found in County Offaly (Irish: Uíbh Fháilí) originally the Kingdom of Uí Failghe, located in central Ireland in the Province of Leinster.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bergin research. Another 248 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1314 and 1655 are included under the topic Early Bergin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 31 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bergin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The 18th century saw the slow yet steady emigration of Irish families to British North America and the United States. Those early Irish settlers that left their homeland were typically moderately well off: they were enticed by the promise of a sizable plot of land. However, by the 1840s, this pattern of immigration was gone: immigrants to North America were seeking refuge from the starvation and disease that the Great Potato Famine of that decade brought. The great numbers of Irish that arrived to the United States and the soon to be Canada were instrumental in their quick development as powerful industrial nations. An examination of early immigration and passenger lists uncovered many early immigrants bearing the name Bergin:
Bergin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Bergin, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Andrews Bergin, who came to New York in 1830
Bergin Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Patrick Bergin who settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1843
- Patrick Bergin, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1843
Bergin Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Anastasia Bergin, aged 22, a dairy maid, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Europa"
- Bridget Bergin, aged 20, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "General Hewett"
- Elizabeth Bergin, aged 22, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "General Hewett"
Bergin Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Bergin, aged 23, a farm labourer, arrived in Bluff, New Zealand aboard the ship "Adamant" in 1875
- John Bergin, aged 19, a carpenter, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Salisbury" in 1876
- Anne Bergin, aged 16, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Queen" in 1883
- Sarah Bergin, aged 16, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Queen" in 1883
- Major-General William Edward Bergin (1892-1978), American Adjutant-General, Deprtment of the Army (1951-1954)
- James Bergin (1845-1880), Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Patrick Bergin (b. 1951), Irish actor
- Michael John Bergin (b. 1969), Irish model and actor
- Professor Osborn Bergin (1872-1950), Celtic scholar
- John Daniel "Jack" Bergin FRACP, FRCP (1921-1995), New Zealand neurologist
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Bergin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bergin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 January 2015 at 10:04.
on orders of $85 or more