Bentell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Bentell name has descended through the generations from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. Their name comes from having lived in the county of Salop (Shropshire), where the Bentell family took their name from the parish of Benthall, near Much Wenlock. References to the family name in this area date back to the 12th century. Benthall Hall is a 16th century English country house is located there, a few miles from the historic Ironbridge Gorge. The Hall was built around 1580, on the site of an earlier 12th century medieval manor and manor house. It proudly retains much of its fine oak interior, and an elaborate 17th century staircase. Moreover, it is still occupied by the Benthall family, but has been owned by the National Trust since 1958. Alternatively, the name could have been derived from Benthall, a village in Northumberland about 6 kilometers south east of Bamburgh.
Early Origins of the Bentell family
The surname Bentell was first found in Middlesex, in south east England.
Early History of the Bentell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bentell research. Another 50 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 122 and 1221 are included under the topic Early Bentell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bentell Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Bentell has undergone many spelling variations, including Bendall, Bendell, Bendal, Bendel, Bendle, Bentall, Benthall and many more.
Early Notables of the Bentell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bentell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bentell migration to the United States +
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Bentell were among those contributors:
Bentell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Bentell, who landed in Virginia in 1636 
Bentell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- George Bentell, who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1704
Bentell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Maria Bentell, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806 
- Frederika Bentell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1806 
- George Bentell, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806 
- Israel Bentell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1806 
- Johanna Bentell, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)