The distinguished surname Benedetti originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic
surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal
System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Benedetti came from the first name "Benito," which is the Italian form of Benedict, which means blessed.
Early Origins of the Benedetti family
The surname Benedetti was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna
, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. History dates the city back to 753. It was at war with Venice
in 1471. It is a walled city and notable is the Church of S. Cristoforo. Knitted goods and shawls are made. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Early History of the Benedetti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Benedetti research.Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1258, 1405, 1414, 1819, 1530 and 1590 are included under the topic Early Benedetti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Benedetti Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Benzi, Benzo, Benza, Bensi, Penzo, Penza, Pensi, Penso, Benzizni, Benzani, Benzan and many more.
Early Notables of the Benedetti family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Benedetti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Benedetti family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Benedetti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adriano Benedetti, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Piteglio, Italy, in 1904
- Agostino Benedetti, aged 25, who landed in America from Sorano, Italy, in 1907
- Achille Benedetti, aged 23, who emigrated to America from Massa, Firezgano, in 1908
- Achille Benedetti, aged 21, who landed in America from Stiappa, Lucca, in 1911
- Abramo Benedetti, aged 36, who landed in America from Braonio, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Benedetti (post 1700)
- Irene Benedetti, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2000
- Giovanni Benedetti (1917-2017), Italian prelate of Roman Catholic Church, Titular Bishop of Limata (1974–1976), Bishop of Foligno (1976–1992)
- Enzo Benedetti (1931-2017), Italian football midfielder and manager
- Corrado Benedetti (1957-2014), Italian football defender
- Nicola Benedetti (b. 1987), Scottish violinist of Italian heritage
- Mario Benedetti (b. 1920), Uruguayan journalist, novelist, and poet
- Vincent Benedetti (1817-1900), French diplomat, born in Corsica, who was made a count by Napoleon III
- Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli (b. 1920), Italian pianist
Benedetti Family Crest Products