Benda History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Benda family
The surname Benda was first found in Silesia, where this family became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the family became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. The name comes from the Slavic short form of the name Benedikt, and became common throughout the eastern German-speaking regions.
Early History of the Benda family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Benda research. Another 106 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1825, 1836, 1709, 1713, 1752, 1721, 1804, 1726 and 1780 are included under the topic Early Benda History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Benda Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Benda, Bennda, Bendda, Bendat, Bendas, Beneda and others.
Early Notables of the Benda family (pre 1700)
Notables of the period with the surname Benda were Carl Herrmann Benda (d.1836), who was a renowned concert and "Musikmeister" at the royal courts of Prussia.
Hans Georg Benda, a weaver, and wandering performer on several instruments, belonged to the village of Alt-Benatka in Bohemia, and was the head of a celebrated family of artists. His four sons, Franz, Johann, Georg, and Joseph, all devoted themselves to music. Franz Benda. Born Nov. 25, 1709, remarkable as the founder of a special violin school. Johann, the second son of Hans Georg, and the least...
Another 92 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Benda Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Benda is the 10,951st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Benda migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Benda Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- F A Benda, who arrived in New York, NY in 1851 
- Frederick A. Benda, who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1856
- Christoph Benda, who landed in America in 1860 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Benda (post 1700) ||+|
- Wladyslaw Theodor Benda, American (Polish born and raised) painter and illustrator
- Kenneth Benda, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Iowa, 1960
- Ernst Benda (1925-2009), German politician and judge, 4th President of the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany from 1971 to 1983
- Franz Benda (1709-1786), Bohemian violinist and composer
- Georg Anton Benda (1722-1795), German classical composer
- Julien Benda, French novelist and critic
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)