Belden History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Belden family
The surname Belden was first found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times in the parish of Dunbar. Their history at this place is before the Norman Conquest of England by Duke William in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Belden family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Belden research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1231 and 1312 are included under the topic Early Belden History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Belden Spelling Variations
The name Belden, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Belton, Beltone, Beleton, Beldan, Belden, Belston, Belting, Beldon and many more.
Early Notables of the Belden family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Belden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Belden family to Ireland
Some of the Belden family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Belden migration to the United States
The New World beckoned as many of the settlers in Ireland, known as the Scotch/Irish, became disenchanted. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Amongst the early settlers who could be considered kinsmen of the Belden family, or who bore a variation of the surname Belden were
Typical Belden Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Belden Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Belden, who arrived in Connecticut in 1635 
Belden Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Carolina Belden, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806 
- Wilford Belden, aged 50, who landed in New York in 1812 
- Mr. Belden, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1821 
- H Belden, aged 28, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1848 
- E Belden, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Belden (post 1700)
- James Robert "Bob" Belden (1956-2015), American Grammy Award winning saxophonist, arranger, composer, bandleader and producer
- Ira Allison Belden (1874-1916), American outfielder in Major League Baseball
- George Ogilvie Belden (1797-1833), U.S. Representative from New York
- James Jerome Belden (1825-1904), U.S. Representative from New York
- Josiah Belden (1815-1892), American pioneer and politician
- Jack Belden (1910-1989), American war correspondent
- Charles Josiah Belden (1887-1966), American photographer and rancher
- James Robert Belden (b. 1956), American saxophonist, arranger, composer, bandleader and producer
- Silas Belden Dutcher (1829-1909), American politician, New York State Superintendent of Public Works (1880-1883)
- David Belden Lyman (1803-1884), early American missionary to Hawaii
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)