on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Irish Begley family come from? What is the Irish Begley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Begley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Begley family history?All Irish surnames have a unique and often romantic meaning. The name Begley originally appeared in Gaelic as O Beaglaoich where beag means little, and laoch means hero. First Anglicized as O'Begley, it now appears mostly as Begley, and occasionally Bagley.
The recording of names in Ireland in the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best. The many regional dialects and the predominate illiteracy would have made common surnames appear unrelated to the scribes of the period. Research into the name Begley revealed spelling variations, including Begley, Beegley, Beeghley, Begly, Begeley, Begely, Beagley and many more.
First found in the counties of Cork and Donegal (Irish: Dún na nGall), northwest Ireland in the province of Ulster, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel, where they held considerable territories as an important Irish sept directly descended from the line of the Heber Irish Kings.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Begley research. Another 429 words (31 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1732, and 1890 are included under the topic Early Begley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Begley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Irish families began to immigrate to British North America and the United States in the 18th century, but the greatest influx of Irish immigrants came during the Great Potato Famine of the late 1840s. The earlier settlers came to North America after a great deal of consideration and by paying relatively high fees for their passage. These settlers were primarily drawn by the promise of land. Those later settlers that came during the 1840's were trying to escape the conditions of poverty, starvation, disease, and death that had stricken Ireland. Due to the enormity of their numbers and the late date of their arrival, these immigrants primarily became hired laborers instead of homesteading settlers like their predecessors. An exhaustive search of immigration and passenger lists has revealed many Irish immigrants North America bearing the name Begley:
Begley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Miss Begley, who arrived in Newport, Rhode Island in 1811
- John Begley, who landed in New York, NY in 1812
- Neill Begley, aged 20, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1834
- Peter Begley arrived in Philadelphia in 1838
- William Begley arrived in Philadelphia in 1852
Begley Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Begley, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Maria" from Cork
- Martha Begley, aged 50, a spinster, arrived in Saint John aboard the ship "Highlander" in 1834
Begley Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Patrick Begley, aged 52, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Shackamaxon"
- Charles Begley, aged 15, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Shackamaxon"
- James Begley, aged 17, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Shackamaxon"
- Denis Begley, aged 21, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Shackamaxon"
- Susanna Begley, aged 19, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Shackamaxon"
Begley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Julia Begley, aged 19, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Wairoa" in 1877
- Louis Begley (b. 1933), American lawyer and novelist
- Ott E. Begley, American Republican politician, Member of Kentucky State House of Representatives 93rd District, 1946-47
- Owen M. Begley (1906-1981), American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Schenectady County 1st District, 1932, 1933
- Tobias Begley, American politician, Mayor of Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, 1894-95
- Justus S. Begley (1881-1956), American Republican politician, Perry County Sheriff, 1938-42; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kentucky, 1940
- John S. Begley, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1940, 1956, 1960, 1964
- James S. Begley, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1952
- James B. Begley, American politician, Mayor of Bridgeton, New Jersey, 2007
- J. H. Begley, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Nebraska, 1912
- Elmer Begley Jr., American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Governor of Kentucky, 1975, 1979 ; Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Kentucky 5th District, 1976, 1980
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
The Begley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Begley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 January 2016 at 09:20.
on orders of $85 or more