Beddow History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Beddow is one of the oldest family names to come from the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is derived from the Welsh name ap-Eddow. Over time, this has changed to be known as Beddow.
Early Origins of the Beddow family
The surname Beddow was first found in Shropshire where they held a family seat from ancient times, some say long before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Beddow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beddow research. Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1650, 1680 and 1650 are included under the topic Early Beddow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beddow Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Beddow has undergone many spelling variations, including Beddow, Beddoe, Bedoe, Bedow, Bedows, Bedlow and many more.
Early Notables of the Beddow family (pre 1700)
Notables of this surname at this time include: William Bedloe (1650-1680), "dishonest adventurer and 'evidence' in the Popish plot, was born on 20 April 1650, at midday, at Chepstow. We must receive with doubt whatever he reported of his family, his boastfulness and unveracity being notorious; but he 'always kept a diary of his most remarkable adventures for the space of ten years together...
Another 64 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Beddow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beddow migration to the United States +
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Beddow were among those contributors:
Beddow Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Beddow, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1896
Beddow Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- C.A. Beddow, aged 46, who settled in America from Liverpool, in 1904
- Elijah Beddow, aged 11, who immigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1904
- Alfred Beddow, aged 23, who landed in America from Middleton, in 1906
- Jane Beddow, aged 61, who landed in America from Radcliffe, England, in 1913
- John W Beddow, aged 24, who immigrated to America from Radcliffe, England, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Beddow (post 1700) +
- Margery Beddow (1931-2010), American actress, dancer, director and choreographer
- W. E. Beddow, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Iowa, 1908 
- Jim Beddow, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for Governor of South Dakota, 1994 
- Jean Beddow, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Dakota, 1996 
- Besie Beddow (1893-1975), American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alabama, 1936 
- Michael Beddow, English specialist in German literature
- Jonathon Harry "Clem" Beddow (b. 1885), English footballer
- Cascy Beddow (b. 1982), Canadian film actor
Related Stories +