100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
Beddoes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Beddoes originated with the Anglo-Saxon
tribes that once ruled Britain. It is derived from the Welsh
Over time, this has changed to be known as Beddoes.
Early Origins of the Beddoes family
The surname Beddoes was first found in Shropshire
where they held a family seat
from ancient times, some say long before the Norman Conquest
in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Beddoes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beddoes research.Another 297 words (21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Beddoes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beddoes Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations
under which the name Beddoes has appeared include Beddow, Beddoe, Bedoe, Bedow, Bedows, Bedlow and many more.
Early Notables of the Beddoes family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Beddoes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Beddoes family to the New World and Oceana
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England
was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England
at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Beddoes arrived in North America very early:
Beddoes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Beddoes, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Beddoes (post 1700)
- William Beddoes (b. 1955), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 2004, 2008 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Emma Beddoes (b. 1985), English professional squash player from Leamington Spa, ranked World no. 20, in 2014
- The Very Rev Ronald Arthur Beddoes (1912-2000), English Anglican priest, Provost of Derby (1953-1981)
- Thomas Beddoes (1760-1808), English physician from Shifnal, Shropshire, close friend of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, father of the poet Thomas Lovell Beddoes
- Thomas Lovell Beddoes (1803-1849), English poet, dramatist and physician from Clifton, Bristol
- Richard Herbert "Dick" Beddoes (1926-1991), Canadian sports journalist and columnist for The Vancouver Sun and The Globe and Mail
- Ivor William Gilmour Beddoes (1909-1981), British matte painter, sketch and storyboard artist, costume and set designer, re3cently known for his work on Star Wars: Episode V-The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980)
- Clayton Beddoes (b. 1970), Canadian former professional NHL ice hockey centre who played from 1994 to 2002, CCHA Most Valuable Player in Tournament in 1991
- Mick Malcolm Millis "Mick" Beddoes, Fijian politician and businessman from Nadi, former President of the United Peoples Party
Beddoes Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!