Beddoe History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient Anglo-Saxon surname Beddoe came from the Welsh name ap-Eddow. Over time, this has changed to be known as Beddoe.
Early Origins of the Beddoe family
The surname Beddoe was first found in Shropshire where they held a family seat from ancient times, some say long before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Beddoe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beddoe research. Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1650, 1680 and 1650 are included under the topic Early Beddoe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beddoe Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Beddoe has been recorded under many different variations, including Beddow, Beddoe, Bedoe, Bedow, Bedows, Bedlow and many more.
Early Notables of the Beddoe family (pre 1700)
Notables of this surname at this time include: William Bedloe (1650-1680), "dishonest adventurer and 'evidence' in the Popish plot, was born on 20 April 1650, at midday, at Chepstow. We must receive with doubt whatever he reported of his family, his boastfulness and unveracity being notorious; but he 'always kept a diary of his most remarkable adventures for the space of ten years together...
Another 64 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Beddoe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beddoe migration to the United States
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Beddoe or a variant listed above:
Typical Beddoe Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Beddoe Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Beddoe, aged 21, who arrived in Jamaica in 1683 
Contemporary Notables of the name Beddoe (post 1700)
- Don Beddoe (1903-1991), American character actor
- Lieutenant-Commander Alan Brookman Beddoe (1893-1975), Canadian war artist and first President of the Heraldry Society of Canada
- John Beddoe (1826-1911), British ethnologist
- Dan Beddoe (1863-1937), Welsh tenor
- Clive Beddoe (b. 1947), founding shareholder and Chairman of the Board of Directors of WestJet Airlines
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)