Bearce History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Of all the Anglo-Saxon names to come from Britain, Bearce is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in one of two towns called Birchill in the countys of Derbyshire and Staffordshire.
Early Origins of the Bearce family
The surname Bearce was first found in Kent, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Important Dates for the Bearce family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bearce research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bearce History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bearce Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Bearce has been spelled many different ways, including Birchall, Birchill, Birchalls, Birchills and many more.
Early Notables of the Bearce family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bearce Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bearce family
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Bearces to arrive in North America: Henry Birchall who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1824; Thomas Walmsley Birchall arrived in Philadelphia in 1835; Elias Birchall in 1845; William Birchall in 1852.
Contemporary Notables of the name Bearce (post 1700)
- Lewis D. Bearce, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Maine, 1952 
- Herbert E. Bearce, American Republican politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bozrah, 1926 
- H. W. Bearce, American Republican politician, Member of Maine State House of Representatives from Oxford County (4th), 1931-32 
- Edwin M. Bearce, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 11th District, 1857-58 
- Edna Bearce, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Maine, 1956 
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html