Barna History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Barna family
The surname Barna was first found in the north of Italy, especially in Tuscany. The name occasionally appears in the south, usually in forms which end in "o," but the northern forms ending in "i" are much more common. The name Barna, like many surnames originated as a personal name. The name Barnabas was a fairly common surname in Europe at the time surnames usage was first beginning, and was made popular by the fact that it was borne by a character in the Bible, a companion of St. Paul. The name means "son of Nabia," the name Nabia coming from an Arameic word meaning "confession."
Early History of the Barna family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barna research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1559 are included under the topic Early Barna History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barna Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barnabei, Barnabeo, Barnabo, Barnaba, Barnobi, Bernabeo, Bernabe, Bernabo, Bernaba, Barnabucci, Barnacchi, Barni, Barno, Barna, Barnini, Barnino and many more.
Early Notables of the Barna family (pre 1700)
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barna Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Barna family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the $ family, who settled along the east coast of North America in the late 19th century.
Contemporary Notables of the name Barna (post 1700) +
- Dillon Barna (b. 1987), American soccer player who currently plays for Ventura County Fusion
- Herbert Paul "Babe" Barna (1915-1972), American Major League Baseball left fielder who played for the Philadelphia Athletics (1937–1938), New York Giants (1941–1943) and Boston Red Sox (1943)
- Hayley Barna, American entrepreneur and venture capitalist who co-founded Birchbox in 2009
- George Barna (b. 1954), American founder of The Barna Group, a market research firm specializing in studying the religious beliefs and behavior of Americans
- Craig Barna, American musical director of Broadway musicals, best known for his work on the song "A Change in Me" for the musical Beauty and the Beast (1998)
- Viktor Győző Barna (b. 1911), Hungarian-born, British twenty-two time gold medalist champion table tennis player, five-time World Champion
- Laszlo Barna (b. 1948), Hungarian-born, Canadian Gemini Award-winning executive producer of television programs and films
- Daniel Ionuț Barna (b. 1986), Romanian footballer
- Anca Barna (b. 1977), retired professional German tennis player
- Adriana Barna (b. 1978), retired professional German tennis player
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +