from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Baddey research.Another 76 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1597, 1603, 1735, 1771, and 1803 are included under the topic Early Baddey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
The name, Baddey, occurred in many references, and from time to time, it was spelt Beattie, Beatty, Beaty, Beatie, Betay, Bety and others.
The New World beckoned settlers from the Scottish-English borders. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Among the early settlers bearing the Baddey surname who came to North America were: Agnes Beattie who arrived in New York City in 1774; Patrick Beatty arrived in Newcastle, Del. in 1789; William Beatty came to Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1774.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Lumen coeleste sequamur
Motto Translation: May we follow heavenly inspiration.