Author History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Author family
The surname Author was first found in Suffolk where the surname is descended from the tenant Uthret, recorded in 1066 and again in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
However, some of the family were found at Towthorpe in the East Riding of Yorkshire in ancient times. "This place is said to have formerly had a village that was destroyed by fire, and to have been the seat of the ancient family of Ughtred." 
The oldest record of the family was Uhtred or Uchtred (d. 1016), the Saxon Earl of Northumbria, son of Waltheof the Elder, Earl of Northumbria.
Uhtred, Utred or Owtred (1315?-1396), was a "Benedictine theologian, sometimes called John Utred, born about 1315 at Boldon, North Durham, whence he is also called Uhtred Boledunus." 
Early History of the Author family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Author research. Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1358, 1509, 1512, 1523 and 1593 are included under the topic Early Author History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Author Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ughtred, Oughtred, Owtred, Utright, Utreight, Owtred, Utreight, Utrecht, Outred and many more.
Early Notables of the Author family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Author Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Author family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Author (post 1700) +
- Ilsa J. Bick is an award-winning science fiction author, best known for her Star Trek novels
- John Author Ray (1879-1977), American politician, U.S. Consul in Masqat, 1909-11; Maracaibo, 1911; Sheffield, 1914; Odessa, 1916-17 
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html