Auchmoody History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Today's generation of the Auchmoody family inherits a name that was first used by the Scottish tribe known as the Picts. The first family to use the name Auchmoody lived at Auchmuty, in the parish of Markinch, in the county of Fifeshire.
Early Origins of the Auchmoody family
The surname Auchmoody was first found in Fife, where they were chiefs of the lands known as Auchmuty in the parish of Markinch. The first on record was Rotheri of Auchmuty in the year 1296, followed by Florence in 1334 who confirmed the lands of Auchmuty in 1334.
Important Dates for the Auchmoody family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Auchmoody research. Another 203 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1466, 1517, 1600, 1606, 1650, and 1669 are included under the topic Early Auchmoody History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Auchmoody Spelling Variations
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations with single names. Auchmoody has appeared Auchmuty, Achmuty, Auchmutie, Achmutie, Auchmouttie, Admuty, Achmoutie, Admowty, Auchmowtie, Achinmoutie, Auchinmouttie, Achmuty, Admuty, Auchmouthie, Auchmutty, Auchmoody and many more.
Early Notables of the Auchmoody family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Auchmoody Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Auchmoody family to Ireland
Some of the Auchmoody family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Auchmoody migration to the United States
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland and Australia, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Auchmoody:
Typical Auchmoody Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Auchmoody Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Auchmoody, who arrived in New York in 1731 
Auchmoody Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G. P. Auchmoody who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1852
Contemporary Notables of the name Auchmoody (post 1700)
- Lester Auchmoody, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for New York State Assembly from Westchester County 2nd District, 1920, 1922 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 28) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html