Auchincloss History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Auchincloss was first used by the ancient Strathclyde-Briton people of the Scottish/English Borderlands. The first Auchincloss family lived in the barony of Auchinleck in Ayrshire or from Affleck in Angus.
Early Origins of the Auchincloss family
The surname Auchincloss was first found in Ayrshire and Angus where one of the first records of the name was Nicholas of Haghenlek who is mentioned in the records of 1292 is the same Nicol de Achithlege of the county of Ayr who rendered homage to King Edward I of England on his brief conquest of Scotland in 1296. 
Early History of the Auchincloss family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Auchincloss research. Another 132 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1311 and 1464 are included under the topic Early Auchincloss History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Auchincloss Spelling Variations
Surnames that evolved in Scotland in the Middle Ages often appear under many spelling variations. These are due to the practice of spelling according to sound in the era before dictionaries had standardized the English language. Auchincloss has appeared as Affleck, Athlyk, Athinkel, Auchlek, Athlek, Achleck, Achinfleck, Afleck, Authinlek and many more.
Early Notables of the Auchincloss family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Auchincloss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Auchincloss migration to the United States +
The North American colonies beckoned, with their ample land and opportunity as their freedom from the persecution suffered by so many Clan families back home. Many Scots even fought against England in the American War of Independence to gain this freedom. Recently, clan societies have allowed the ancestors of these brave Scottish settlers to rediscover their familial roots. Among them:
Auchincloss Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Arthur Auchincloss, aged 34, who landed in Maryland in 1812 
- John Auchincloss, aged 23, who arrived in Maryland in 1812 
- Hugh Auchincloss, who arrived in New York in 1817 
Contemporary Notables of the name Auchincloss (post 1700) +
- Nina Gore Auchincloss (1903-1978), American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Virginia, 1940 
- James Coats Auchincloss (1885-1976), American Republican politician, Mayor of Rumson, New Jersey, 1938-43; U.S. Representative from New Jersey 3rd District, 1943-65 
- Hugh Dudley III Auchincloss (b. 1927), American politician, Independent Candidate for Rhode Island State Senate, 1992 
- Hugh Dudley Auchincloss (1897-1976), American Republican politician, Stockbroker; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Virginia, 1940 
- Hugh Auchincloss Steers (1962-1995), American figurative painter who died of AIDS at the age of 32, brother to Burr Steers, son of Newton Steers
- Sir Stuart Auchincloss Coats (1868-1959), 2nd Baronet, a British politician and Member of Parliament
Related Stories +
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 28) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html