Asmussen History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Asmussen is a patronymic name derived from the German personal name Erasmus (which in turn was derived from the Latinized form of the Greek word "erasmos," meaning love), borne by an early Christian saint.  Generally, many of the family evolved the name to Rasmussen in Denmark. The suffix '-sen' is translatable as 'son of.'
Asmussen Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rasmussen, Rasmusen, Asmussen, Rasmus, Asmus, Erasmus and many more.
Early Notables of the Asmussen family (pre 1700)
Another 64 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Asmussen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Contemporary Notables of the name Asmussen (post 1700) +
- Donald "Don" Asmussen (1962-2021), American cartoonist working for the San Francisco Chronicle and Universal Press Syndicate
- W. Asmussen, American politician, Member of California State Assembly 12th District, 1877-80 
- Theodore S. Asmussen, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Buenos Aires, 1919 
- Svend Asmussen (1916-2017), Danish jazz violinist
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html