Armor History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Armor family
The surname Armor was first found in Berwickshire on the English Scottish border where they held a family seat for many, many centuries.
Important Dates for the Armor family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Armor research. Another 76 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1620, 1686 and 1659 are included under the topic Early Armor History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Armor Spelling Variations
Although the name, Armor, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Armour, Armor, Lamor, Lamour, Armer, Larmer, Aarmour, Larrimer, Armourer and many more.
Early Notables of the Armor family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was William Armorer of Cumberland; and Sir Nicholas Armorer (c.1620-1686), was a Royalist army officer during the English Civil...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Armor Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Armor family to Ireland
Some of the Armor family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 69 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Armor migration to the United States
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Armor family name Armor, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Typical Armor Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Armor Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Armor, who landed in Virginia in 1664 
Armor Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
Contemporary Notables of the name Armor (post 1700)
- Mary Elizabeth Harris Armor (1863-1950), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 1924, 1928 
- G. Albert Armor (1907-1979), American Democrat politician, Member of California Democratic State Central Committee, 1942; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1944 
- David Armor, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 23rd District, 1982 
- John Armor Bingham, American lawyer and politician, Congressman from Ohio, and a judge in the trial of the Abraham Lincoln assassination
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html