Armentrout History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Armentrout is of very ancient German origin. It is derived from a Germanic personal name made up of the elements "heri," meaning "army," and "man," meaning "man."
Early Origins of the Armentrout family
The surname Armentrout was first found in Prussia, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region.
One of the first records of the family was Hermann ( fl. 1070), a hagiographer, probably a native of Lorraine, was the Archdeacon of Herfast, Bishop of Thetford, and helped him in his attempt to assert the jurisdiction of his see over St. Edmund's Abbey. 
Hermann (d. 1078), first bishop of Salisbury, a native of Lorraine, was probably one of the clerks of the royal chapel under the Danish dynasty, and held that office when, in 1045, Edward the Confessor appointed him bishop of Ramsbury or Wilton, in succession to Brihtwold. 
Early History of the Armentrout family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Armentrout research. Another 146 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1828, 1842, 1769, 1612, 1719, 1727, 1786, 1625, 1678, 1621, 1686, 1643, 1708, 1664, 1703, 1646, 1695, 1650 and 1734 are included under the topic Early Armentrout History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Armentrout Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Herman, Hermann, Herrman, Herrmann, Hörman, Hörmann, Hierman, Harmen, Harmand, Harman, Armand, Armant, Hermand, Arman, Erman, Ermann, Hearman, Hearmann, Harm, Harmsen, Harmson and many more.
Early Notables of the Armentrout family (pre 1700)
Notable figures of the time with the name Armentrout were Jobst Herman of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1625-1678), Count of Lippe, Sternberg and Schwalenberg; Augustine Herman, First Lord of Bohemia Manor (c.1621-1686), a Bohemian explorer, merchant, and cartographer; Johann Oswald Harms (1643-1708), a German...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Armentrout Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Armentrout is the 7,780th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Armentrout migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Armentrout Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Elizabeth Armentrout, who immigrated to the United States 1910
- James Armentrout, aged 25, who landed in America in 1910
- Jane G. Armentrout, aged 25, who immigrated to America in 1910
- Marguerite Armentrout, aged 34, who immigrated to Washington D.C. in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Armentrout (post 1700) +
- Robert W. Armentrout, American politician, Mayor of Hyattsville, Maryland, 1999- 
- Charles L. Armentrout, American politician, Mayor of Hyattsville, Maryland, 1967-75 
- Jennifer Armentrout (b. 1980), American writer of young adult novels
- Peter B. Armentrout (b. 1953), American reseacher in thermochemistry, kinetics, Chemistry Professor at the University of Utah, recipient of the Biemann Medal (2001)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Armentrout +
- Armentrout Family History 1739-1978 by Russell S. Armentrout.
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html