Armendariz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Armendariz comes from Spain, a country rich in culture and history. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The Visigoths, who ruled Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries had a profound impact on the development of surnames. The name Armendariz is originally derived form the Basque personal name Armendari or Armentari, which comes from the Latin word "armentarius" meaning "herdsman."
Early Origins of the Armendariz family
The surname Armendariz was first found in Navarre, a Christian kingdom of northern Spain during the Middle Ages.
Early History of the Armendariz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Armendariz research. Another 261 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1035, 1516, 1699, and 1711 are included under the topic Early Armendariz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Armendariz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Armendáriz, Armendariz, Armendárez, Armendarez, Armendo, Armando, Armán, Arman, Armendía, Armendia, Armentía and many more.
Early Notables of the Armendariz family (pre 1700)
Notable bearers of the family name Armendariz were sixteenth century sculptor Pedro Armendia and sixteenth century theologian and Archbishop of Tarragona Luis de Armendáriz. Also of note was José...
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Armendariz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Armendariz migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Armendariz Settlers in United States in the 16th Century
- Juan de Armendáriz, who sailed to Peru in 1588
Armendariz Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carlos Armendariz, who settled in El Paso, TX in 1909
Contemporary Notables of the name Armendariz (post 1700) +
- Victor Armendariz, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 2000 ; Candidate in primary for town President of Cicero, Illinois, 2001 
- Joseph Armendariz, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 2008 
- Montxo Armendariz (b. 1949), Spanish screenwriter and film director
- Alejandro Armendáriz (1923-2005), Argentine physician and politician, Governor of Buenos Aires Province from 1983 to 1987
- Pedro Armendáriz (1912-1963), Mexican, film actor
- Pedro Armendáriz Jr. (b. 1940), Mexican actor
- Rebecca Armendariz Klein, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 25th District, 2004 
Related Stories +