Ares History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Ares comes from Spain, a country rich in culture and history. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. This surname is thought to be derived from the one of personal names Ares, Aria or Arius which were used in the "Romance" countries. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is "ez". The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin, from when the Visigoths held Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries.
Early Origins of the Ares family
The surname Ares was first found in Galicia, where the descendants of the Celts and the Swabians were established.
Important Dates for the Ares family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ares research. Another 104 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1097 and 1611 are included under the topic Early Ares History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ares Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Arias, Arianiz, Areas, Ares, Ariz, Aris and others.
Early Notables of the Ares family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were Pedro Arias, thirteenth century Castilian nobleman; Benito Arias Montano, sixteenth century Spanish scholar and translator; Juan Arias de Loyola, sixteenth century...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ares Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ares migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Ares Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Ares Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Ares, who arrived in Maryland in 1669 
Ares Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francisco Ares, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1816 
- Isabella Ares, aged 30, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829 
- Jose Maria Ares, aged 39, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1829 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ares (post 1700)
- Jose Delio Ares (b. 1980), Dominion Republic editor and composer, known for Who's the Boss (2013)
- Richard Arès OC (1910-1989), French Canadian humanist and writer from Marieville, Quebec
- Emilia Ares Zoryan, American film and television actress, known for her work on Bosch (2016) and Falling Overnight (2011)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)