Antonino History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
During the times when surnames first began to be used in this region, a common way to create a surname was to use the given name of the father. Such names are classed as patronymic surnames. Antonino was created from the given name Antonius, which in English is known in the forms Anthony and Antony. The given name Antonius means inestimable or strength. The Antonino family surname has its roots in the ancient Roman period and possibly earlier, in the Etruscan period. The most famous member of this family is Marc Antony (Marcus Antonius), the famous Roman general, politician and orator born in 83 B.C. Antony was of a distinguished family related to Julius Caesar. After Caesar's assassination Antony aroused the masses against the conspirators who murdered his relative and patron. Perhaps the most memorable aspect of his life was his love affair with Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt. The tragic end of this couple has been the subject of much literature, including one of Shakespeare's plays.
Early History of the Antonino family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Antonino research. More information is included under the topic Early Antonino History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Antonino Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Antonino include Antony, Anthony, Antni, Antnia, Antnio, Antoni, Antonia, Antonio, De Antoni, Di Antonio, Antonèllo, D'Antonio, Antonello, Antonelli, Antonetti, Antonetto, Antonietti, Antonazzi, Antonazzo, Antoniutti, Antonioli, Antuoni, Antonino, Antonicelli, Antonucci, Antognini, Antognetti, Antognoli, Toni, Tony, Tonelli, Tonicello, Tonello, Tonino, Tonini, Tonizzo, Tonolli and many more.
Early Notables of the Antonino family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Antonia of Baux (c. 1355-1374), the second Queen consort of Frederick III, King of Sicily (1372-1374.) Antonio de Messina, was a painter in Messina, born in 1430. He specialized in still life, his most famous work is "St. Jerome in His Study" which is on display in the art gallery in London England today. Silvio Antonio was a humanist scholar born in...
Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Antonino Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Antonino family
Early records show that people bearing the name Antonino arrived in North America quite early: Joseph Antonio, who sailed to Virginia in 1641; Giuseppe Anthony who arrived in New York in 1820; Angello Anthony moved to Mobile Alabama in 1840; Don Antonio arrived in New York in 1822, and Josephine Antonini came to New York in 1845..
|Contemporary Notables of the name Antonino (post 1700) ||+|
- Luwalhati Ricasa Antonino (1943-2023), Filipino politician, MP (1992–2001) and chairperson of the MinDA (2010–2016)
- Magnolia Welborn- Antonino (1915-2010), Filipina politician, Senator of the PhilippinesBalaoan, La Union
- Luwalhati Ricasa- Antonino (b. 1943), born in Upi, North Cotabato, Filipina politician, former Chairperson of the Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA)
- Antonino Mannino (1939-2022), Italian politician, member of the Italian Communist Party, he served in the Chamber of Deputies from 1983 to 1992
- Antonino Valletta (1938-2022), Italian politician, Member of the Senate of the Republic of Italy (1994-2001)
- Antonino Cuffaro (1932-2019), Italian politician
- Antonino Rocca (1921-1977), born Antonino Biasetton, an Argentine professional wrestler, inducted into the WWF Hall of Fame class of 1995
- Antonino Fernández Rodríguez (1917-2016), Spanish businessman, former chairman of Grupo Modelo
- Antonino Barillà (b. 1988), Italian footballer
- Antonino "Tony" Foti (b. 1962), Italian General Manager of the Italian Softball League's San Marino Titano team