Antonetti History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
During the times when surnames first began to be used in this region, a common way to create a surname was to use the given name of the father. Such names are classed as patronymic surnames. Antonetti was created from the given name Antonius, which in English is known in the forms Anthony and Antony. The given name Antonius means inestimable or strength. The Antonetti family surname has its roots in the ancient Roman period and possibly earlier, in the Etruscan period. The most famous member of this family is Marc Antony (Marcus Antonius), the famous Roman general, politician and orator born in 83 B.C. Antony was of a distinguished family related to Julius Caesar. After Caesar's assassination Antony aroused the masses against the conspirators who murdered his relative and patron. Perhaps the most memorable aspect of his life was his love affair with Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt. The tragic end of this couple has been the subject of much literature, including one of Shakespeare's plays.
Early History of the Antonetti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Antonetti research. More information is included under the topic Early Antonetti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Antonetti Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Antonetti include Antony, Anthony, Antni, Antnia, Antnio, Antoni, Antonia, Antonio, De Antoni, Di Antonio, Antonèllo, D'Antonio, Antonello, Antonelli, Antonetti, Antonetto, Antonietti, Antonazzi, Antonazzo, Antoniutti, Antonioli, Antuoni, Antonino, Antonicelli, Antonucci, Antognini, Antognetti, Antognoli, Toni, Tony, Tonelli, Tonicello, Tonello, Tonino, Tonini, Tonizzo, Tonolli and many more.
Early Notables of the Antonetti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Antonia of Baux (c. 1355-1374), the second Queen consort of Frederick III, King of Sicily (1372-1374.) Antonio de Messina, was a painter in Messina, born in 1430. He specialized in still life, his most famous work is "St. Jerome in His Study" which is on display in the art gallery in London England today. Silvio Antonio was a humanist scholar born in...
Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Antonetti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Antonetti migration to the United States ||+|
Early records show that people bearing the name Antonetti arrived in North America quite early:
Antonetti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Comasia Antonetti, aged 15, who immigrated to America from Foggia, Italy, in 1906
- Carmina Antonetti, aged 20, who landed in America from Agnora, Italy, in 1907
- Domenico Antonetti, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Fano Adriano, Italy, in 1909
- Camillo Antonetti, aged 17, who settled in America from Trivigliano, Italy, in 1911
- Carmeda Antonetti, aged 7, who immigrated to the United States from Fuinnula, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Antonetti (post 1700) ||+|
- Chris Antonetti, current General Manager and Executive Vice President of the Cleveland Indians
- Richard P. Antonetti, American Democratic Party politician, Dodd Independent Candidate for U.S. Representative from Connecticut 3rd District, 1970 
- Lorenzo Antonetti (1922-2013), Italian Cardinal in the Catholic Church
- Frédéric Antonetti (b. 1961), Corsican football manager