Antonelli History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
A variety of distinguished and notable names have emerged from the beautiful and historical Italian region of Tuscany, including the notable surname Antonelli. During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, people in Tuscany, who had been going by a single name, found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. This process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries, but it was not completed until the modern era. The patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, was one of the most common name types of name created in this region. The surname Antonelli was created from the given name Antonius, which in English is known in the forms Anthony and Antony. The given name Antonius means inestimable or strength. The Antonelli family surname has its roots in the ancient Roman period and possibly earlier, in the Etruscan period. The most famous member of this family is Marc Antony (Marcus Antonius), the famous Roman general, politician and orator born in 83 B.C. Antony was of a distinguished family related to Julius Caesar. After Caesar's assassination Antony aroused the masses against the conspirators who murdered his relative and patron. Perhaps the most memorable aspect of his life was his love affair with Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt. The tragic end of this couple has been the subject of much literature, including one of Shakespeare's plays.
Early History of the Antonelli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Antonelli research. More information is included under the topic Early Antonelli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Antonelli Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Antonelli include Antony, Anthony, Antni, Antnia, Antnio, Antoni, Antonia, Antonio, De Antoni, Di Antonio, Antonèllo, D'Antonio, Antonello, Antonelli, Antonetti, Antonetto, Antonietti, Antonazzi, Antonazzo, Antoniutti, Antonioli, Antuoni, Antonino, Antonicelli, Antonucci, Antognini, Antognetti, Antognoli, Toni, Tony, Tonelli, Tonicello, Tonello, Tonino, Tonini, Tonizzo, Tonolli and many more.
Early Notables of the Antonelli family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Antonia of Baux (c. 1355-1374), the second Queen consort of Frederick III, King of Sicily (1372-1374.) Antonio de Messina, was a painter in Messina, born in 1430. He specialized in still life, his most famous work is "St. Jerome in His Study" which is on display in the art gallery in London England today. Silvio Antonio was a humanist scholar born in...
Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Antonelli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Antonelli migration to the United States +
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Antonelli:
Antonelli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adelina Antonelli, aged 6, who landed in America from Iserina, in 1904
- Adolfo Antonelli, aged 27, who immigrated to America from Picinisco, Italy, in 1907
- Alfonso Antonelli, aged 20, who landed in America from Rionero S., Italy, in 1907
- Alfonso Antonelli, aged 42, who settled in America from Scandsiglia, Italy, in 1907
- Alessandra Antonelli, aged 27, who immigrated to America from Avellino, Italy, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Antonelli (post 1700) +
- John August "Johnny" Antonelli (1930-2020), American professional MLB left-handed starting pitcher who played from 1948 to 1961
- Dominic Anthony Antonelli (b. 1967), American NASA astronaut with over 27 days in orbit 
- Kathleen Antonelli (1921-2006), American computer programmer
- Johnny Antonelli (b. 1930), American former left-handed starting pitcher
- Robert B. Antonelli, American politician, Representative from Massachusetts 7th District, 1992 
- Michael C. Antonelli, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 10th District, 1934 
- Louis S. Antonelli, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 17th District, 1982 
- Lou Antonelli, American Republican politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 111th District, 1994 
- Laura Antonelli (1941-2015), born Laura Antonaz, an Italian film actress, who appeared in 45 films between 1965 and 1991
- Andrea Antonelli (1988-2013), Italian motorcycle racer, killed in an accident at the Moscow Raceway
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +