100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Antoine is a patronymic surname derived from the given name Antoine. Patronyms were the oldest and most common form of hereditary surnames. The personal name Antoine is derived from the Latin name Antonius, and was very popular in the Middle Ages thanks to the popularity of St. Antony of Thebes and St. Anthony of Padua. St. Antony of Thebes (251-356) is credited with the founding of monasticism. St. Anthony of Padua lived from 1195 to 1231.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Antoine, Antoinette, Dantoine, d'Antoine, Antone, Antoin, d'Antoin, Danthoine, Antoine, d'Anthoine, Antoinet, Dantoinet, d'Antoinet, Lantoine, Lanthoine, Anthoine, d'Anthoine, de Thoin, le Thoin, de Toin, le Toin, Antoinet, d'Antoinet, Lantoinet, l'Antoinet, Anthoinet, Lanthoinet, l'Anthoinet, d'Antoinette, Lantoinette, Dantoinette, Antoing, d'Antoing, Dantoing, de Toine, le Toine, de Toine and many more.
First found in Provence, where the family has held a family seat since ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Antoine research. Another 565 words (40 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1620, 1625, 1700, 1789, 1791, and 1793 are included under the topic Early Antoine History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Antoine Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Antoine Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Charles Antoine, who arrived in Long Island in 1687
Antoine Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Claude Antoine, who arrived in Louisiana in 1718
- Francois Antoine, who arrived in Louisiana in 1719
Antoine Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Gossen Antoine, aged 10, landed in New Bern, North Carolina in 1825
- Denis Antoine, aged 30, landed in New Orleans, La in 1836
- Bernard Antoine, aged 29, landed in Mobile, Ala in 1849
- Pilissier Francois Antoine, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1895
Antoine Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Marc Antoine, aged 30, arrived in Canada in 1642
- Kevin Antoine, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Mississippi 4th District, 1996
- J. F. Antoine, American Democrat politician, Alternate delegate to Democratic National Convention from Wisconsin, 1928
- Frank J. Antoine, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly from Crawford County, 1942; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Wisconsin 3rd District, 1948
- Claude Antoine, American Republican politician, Alternate delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 2008
- C. C. Antoine (1836-1921), American politician, Member of Louisiana State Senate, 1870-72; Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana, 1872-76
- François Louis Antoine, French Brigadier General during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars from 1789 to 1815
- André Antoine (1858-1943), French actor-manager
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Antoine Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Antoine Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 October 2015 at 11:09.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!