Alterman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The saga of the name Alterman follows a line reaching back through history to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It was a name for someone who worked as a duke, magistrate, or chief.
Early Origins of the Alterman family
The surname Alterman was first found in Lincolnshire in eastern England. The name was recorded as holding lands in that county in the Domesday Book (1086,) a census taken by King William after his conquest of England in 1066. The family name is believed to have been seated there for many years.
Important Dates for the Alterman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Alterman research. Another 36 words (3 lines of text) covering the year 1194 is included under the topic Early Alterman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alterman Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Alterman were recorded, including Aldreman, Alderman, Elderman, Aelderman and others.
Early Notables of the Alterman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Alterman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alterman migration to the United States
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Alterman family emigrate to North America:
Alterman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Alterman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1789 
- Jacob Alterman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1789 
- Sophia Alterman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1797 
- Henrica Alterman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1797 
Contemporary Notables of the name Alterman (post 1700)
- Stephen Alterman, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 2008 
- Meyer Alterman, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County 17th District, 1923-37; 
- H. Alterman, American politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Virginia, 1928, 1932 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html