as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 11th when they held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Allnutt research.Another 318 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1140, 1455, 1487, and 1682 are included under the topic Early Allnutt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon
surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations
. Changes in Anglo-Saxon
names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Allnutt include Allnutt, Alnott, Allnott, Alnath, Alnatt, Allnatt, Alner, Alnot, Alnut, Alnod, Alnud, Alnett, Allnett, Alnet, Elnod, Allno, Alnoe, Allnoe, Almot, Alneot and many more.
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Allnutt or a variant listed above:
Allnutt Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Allnutt, who settled in Virginia with his wife in 1623
Allnutt Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Allnutt, who settled in Maryland in 1748
Allnutt Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Veirs Allnutt, aged 3, who arrived in America, in 1909
- Frederick R. Allnutt, aged 23, who arrived in America from Essex, England, in 1910
- Frederick R. Allnutt, aged 33, who arrived in America from London, England, in 1920
- Max Millian Allnutt, aged 24, who arrived in America from London, England, in 1921
- Richard Allnutt, aged 18, who arrived in America, in 1923
Allnutt Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Allnutt, aged 20, who arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874