The mountainous borders of Spain
contain the origins of the prestigious surname Afonso. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin.
Early Origins of the Afonso family
The surname Afonso was first found in Leon, where the name originated in Visigothic
Early History of the Afonso family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Afonso research.Another 143 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1155, 1352, and 1519 are included under the topic Early Afonso History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Afonso Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Alonso, Alfonso, Alefonso, Alifonso, Adefonso, Aldefonso, Adefonso, Afonso and many more.
Early Notables of the Afonso family (pre 1700)
Notable bearers of the family name Afonso was Pedro Alfonso, who translated the twelfth century "Scholar's Guide"; Juan Alfonso de Alburquerque, steward of King Peter I in the mid fourteenth century; Ferrand Alonso de Merlo, a nobleman mentioned in the... Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Afonso Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Afonso family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Afonso Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Benigno Afonso, aged 25, who settled in America from das Chans, Spain, in 1916
- Francisco Afonso, aged 20, who landed in America from Corgas Croas, Portugal, in 1920
- Joao Dias Afonso, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Vagos, Portugal, in 1920
- Jose Torres Afonso, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Funchal, Madeira, in 1920
- Julio Afonso, aged 16, who landed in America from Estarreja, Portugal, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Afonso (post 1700)
- Yves Afonso (1944-2018), French actor from Saulieu in the Côte-d'Or
- Luís Afonso, Brazilian clarinetist and bass clarinetist
- Nuno Miguel Figueiredo Afonso (b. 1974), Portuguese retired footballer
- Ivo Rafael Brandão Afonso (b. 1975), Portuguese professional footballer
- Nadir Afonso (1920-2013), Portuguese geometric abstractionist painter
- Guilherme Afonso (b. 1985), professional footballer from Angola
- Alex Afonso (b. 1981), Brazilian football forward
- Antônio Afonso de Miranda (b. 1920), Brazilian prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- Afonso Henriques de Lima Barreto (1881-1922), Brazilian novelist and journalist
- Afonso Alves (b. 1981), Brazilian professional footballer