The lineage of the name Achim begins with the Anglo-Saxon
tribes in Britain. It is a result of when they lived in Yorkshire
. The surname Achim is associated with the parish of Acomb,
which was located on the outskirts of the city of York.
Early Origins of the Achim family
The surname Achim was first found in Yorkshire
, at Acomb which is now a suburb within the City of York Unitary Authority. The place name is most likely derived from the Old English acum, which meant "at the oak trees." The village dates back to at least the Domesday Book
where it was listed as Achum, Acum and Acun, and was land held by the Archbishop of York. The village was designated as a manor held by St. Peter. There was land enough for 8 ploughs and there were 14 rent-paying tenants. CITATION[CLOSE]
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
By 1222, the village was listed as Akum. CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4) East and West Acomb, Northumberland have traditionally been quite a bit smaller than the Yorkshire village with West Acomb being the larger of the two. In both of these latter cases, the first record of the place name was with the Akum spelling in 1268. Hadrian's Wall runs about 1 mile (1.5 km), north east of Acomb, Northumberland.
Some of the first records of the family were Philip de Akum, who was registered in Yorkshire in 1210 CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X) and Willelmus de Acom who was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379. CITATION[CLOSE]
Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
Early History of the Achim family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Achim research.Another 142 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1325, 1379, 1525, 1574, 1670, 1692 and 1767 are included under the topic Early Achim History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Achim Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Achim has undergone many spelling variations
, including Acombe, Acomb, Acome, Acom, Acum, Akum, A Combe and others.
Early Notables of the Achim family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Achim Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Achim family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the unstable social climate in England
of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Achim were among those contributors: Robert Acom who settled in Virginia in 1642; and Thomas Acome who settled in Virginia in 1642.
Contemporary Notables of the name Achim (post 1700)
- Hans Achim Litten (1903-1938), German lawyer who represented opponents of the Nazis in 1929 through 1932; he once cross-examined Hitler for three hours
- Ludwig Achim von Arnim (1781-1931), German writer
- Achim Mentzel (1946-2016), German musician, television presenter and actor
- Achim Hill (1935-2015), German rower, Olympic silver medalist (1960, 1964)
- Achim Freyer (b. 1934), German stage director, set designer and painter
- Achim Schwarze (b. 1958), German author
- Achim Wunderlich (1912-2012), German Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Achim Albrecht (b. 1962), German personal trainer and former bodybuilder
- Achim Stocker (1935-2009), German president of the football club SC Freiburg
- Achim Reichel (b. 1944), German musician, producer and songwriter
Achim Family Crest Products
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)