Abberder History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The current generations of the Abberder family have inherited a surname that was first used hundreds of years ago by descendants of the ancient Scottish tribe called the Picts. The Abberder family lived in Aberdeen (part of the modern Grampian region) and from Aberdour in Fife (which is now part of the region of Fife).
Early Origins of the Abberder family
The surname Abberder was first found in Forfarshire part of the Tayside region of North Eastern Scotland, and present day Council Area of Angus, at the Abbey of Arbroath where William Abirdour witnessed a charter by the Earl of Huntlie in 1367. Another William Aberdour was Bailie for the Abbey of Arbroath in 1483.
Important Dates for the Abberder family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Abberder research. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1484, 1508 and 1510 are included under the topic Early Abberder History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Abberder Spelling Variations
Scribes in the Middle Ages did not have access to a set of spelling rules. They spelled according to sound, the result was a great number of spelling variations. In various documents, Abberder has been spelled Aberdour, Abirdour, Aberder, Abirder, Abyrdour and others.
Early Notables of the Abberder family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Abberder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Abberder family
The cruelties suffered under the new government forced many to leave their ancient homeland for the freedom of the North American colonies. Those who arrived safely found land, freedom, and opportunity for the taking. These hardy settlers gave their strength and perseverance to the young nations that would become the United States and Canada. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the name Abberder: Charles Abirder settled in Georgia between 1790 and 1810.
You May Also Like