100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, English, German, Jewish
Where did the German Winkler family come from? What is the German Winkler family crest and coat of arms? When did the Winkler family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Winkler family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Winckler, Winkler, Winkel, Winckeler, Winkeler, Winck, Wincker, Winker, Winkele and many more.
First found in Saxony, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society that became prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches throughout Germany, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. Chronicles first mention Gerbod zu dem Winkel of Mainz in 1343, and Nicolaus Winkeler of Liegnitz in Silesia in 1397.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Winkler research. Another 336 words(24 lines of text) covering the years 1582, 1628, 1631, 1650, 1654, 1675, 1704, 1710, 1735, 1766, and 1823 are included under the topic Early Winkler History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 32 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Winkler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Winkler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anna Catarina Winkler, aged 43, arrived in South Carolina in 1732
- Frederick Winkler, aged 3, landed in South Carolina in 1732
- Jaque Winkler, aged 19, arrived in South Carolina in 1732
- Luis Winkler, aged 6, arrived in South Carolina in 1732
- Jacob Winkler, who arrived in South Carolina in 1735
Winkler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jakob Winkler, who landed in Texas in 1844
- Johanna Winkler, who landed in New York in 1850
- Kreszentia Epple Winkler, who landed in America in 1850
- Eduard Winkler, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Gottwald Winkler came to Philadelphia in 1850
Winkler Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Christine Winkler, aged 24, landed in America in 1900
- Carolina Winkler, aged 20, landed in America in 1900
- Anastasia Winkler, aged 48, arrived in America in 1900
- Phillip Winkler, aged 50, landed in America in 1900
- Margretha Winkler, aged 15, arrived in America in 1900
- Henry Winkler OBE (b. 1945), American Golden Globe and Daytime Emmy Award winning actor, director, producer, and author, probably best known for his role as "The Fonz" in the 1970s sitcom Happy Days
- Andrew Winkler, American mathematician and inventor
- Irwin Winkler (b. 1931), American Academy Award and BAFTA Award winning film producer and director, known for his films Rocky, They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Raging Bull, The Right Stuff and Goodfellas
- Clemens Alexander Winkler (1838-1904), German chemist
- Eugen Gottlob Winkler (1912-1936), German writer and essayist
- Alexander Winkler (b. 1992), German footballer
- Alexander "Gustav" Adolfovich Winkler (1865-1935), Russian pianist, composer and music educator of German descent
- Gerhard Winkler (1951-1980), German bronze medalist biathlete at the 1980 Winter Olympics
- Professor Hans Winkler (1877-1945), German botanist
- Heinrich August Winkler (b. 1938), German historian
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Winkler Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Winkler Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 May 2014 at 11:39.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!