The Straffard surname is a habitation name derived from one of various places, so named. These place names come from the Old English words "stroet," and "ford;" thus describing a location where the road crossed a stream. Places named Stratford that can be found in the Domesday Book
include towns in Suffolk
, and of course Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire
, held at that time by the Bishop of Worcester.
Early Origins of the Straffard family
The surname Straffard was first found in Suffolk
where a Robert de Stratford was listed in the Domesday Book
, as holding the Hundred
of Samford both before and after the Conquest. John de Stratford (died 1348) was Archbishop of Canterbury and Treasurer and Chancellor of England.
Early History of the Straffard family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Straffard research.Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1379, 1589, 1602, 1633, 1707, 1689, 1707, 1698, 1777, 1727, 1736, 1739 and 1660 are included under the topic Early Straffard History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Straffard Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Straffard family (pre 1700)
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Straffard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Straffard family to Ireland
Some of the Straffard family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 31 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Straffard family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: David Stratford, a servant sent to the Foreign Plantations, who arrived in Nevis in 1661; Joseph Stratford, who arrived in Maryland in 1664; Amy Stratford, who came to Virginia in 1669.
The Straffard Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Virtuti nihil obstat et armis
Motto Translation: Nothing resists valour and arms.