on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Scudder family come from? When did the Scudder family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Scudder family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Scudder, Skudder, Skutter, Scutter and others.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scudder research. Another 139 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487 and 1659 are included under the topic Early Scudder History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Scudder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Scudder Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Scudder, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1635
- John Scudder, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1647
Scudder Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M S Scudder, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- A Scudder, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1855
Scudder Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Scudder arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- William Scudder arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- Richard Scudder arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- Laura Clough Scudder (1881-1959), American entrepreneur who made and sold potato chips, first to package potato chips in sealed bags to extend freshness
- Tredwell Scudder (1778-1834), American politician, U.S. Representative from New York
- Richard Betts Scudder (1913-2012), American newspaper publisher, journalist, co-founder of the MediaNews Group
- Samuel Hubbard Scudder (1837-1911), American entomologist and palaeontologist
- Scott Scudder (b. 1968), American former Major League Baseball player
- Rev. Dr. John Scudder (1793-1855), the first American medical missionary in India
- Janet Scudder (1869-1940), American sculptor
- Mark Scudder, American musician
- Hubert Baxter Scudder, American politician, U.S. Representative from California
- Henry Joel Scudder (1825-1886), American politician, United States Representative from New York
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
This page was last modified on 3 July 2013 at 14:55.
on orders of $85 or more