on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Scudder family come from? When did the Scudder family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Scudder family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Scudder, Skudder, Skutter, Scutter and others.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scudder research. Another 139 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487 and 1659 are included under the topic Early Scudder History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Scudder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Scudder Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Scudder, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1635
- John Scudder, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1647
Scudder Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M S Scudder, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- A Scudder, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1855
Scudder Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Scudder arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- William Scudder arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- Richard Scudder arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- Laura Clough Scudder (1881-1959), American entrepreneur who made and sold potato chips, first to package potato chips in sealed bags to extend freshness
- Tredwell Scudder (1778-1834), American politician, U.S. Representative from New York
- Richard Betts Scudder (1913-2012), American newspaper publisher, journalist, co-founder of the MediaNews Group
- Samuel Hubbard Scudder (1837-1911), American entomologist and palaeontologist
- Scott Scudder (b. 1968), American former Major League Baseball player
- Rev. Dr. John Scudder (1793-1855), the first American medical missionary in India
- Janet Scudder (1869-1940), American sculptor
- Mark Scudder, American musician
- Hubert Baxter Scudder, American politician, U.S. Representative from California
- Henry Joel Scudder (1825-1886), American politician, United States Representative from New York
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
This page was last modified on 3 July 2013 at 14:55.
on orders of $85 or more