on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Scudder family come from? When did the Scudder family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Scudder family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Scudder, Skudder, Skutter, Scutter and others.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scudder research. Another 139 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487 and 1659 are included under the topic Early Scudder History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Scudder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Scudder Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Scudder, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1635
- John Scudder, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1647
Scudder Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M S Scudder, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- A Scudder, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1855
Scudder Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Scudder arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- William Scudder arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- Richard Scudder arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Andrew Jackson" in 1865
- Janet Scudder (1869-1940), American sculptor
- Rev. Dr. John Scudder (1793-1855), the first American medical missionary in India
- Mark Scudder, American musician
- Scott Scudder (b. 1968), American former Major League Baseball player
- Samuel Hubbard Scudder (1837-1911), American entomologist and palaeontologist
- Richard Betts Scudder (1913-2012), American newspaper publisher, journalist, co-founder of the MediaNews Group
- Tredwell Scudder (1778-1834), American politician, U.S. Representative from New York
- Laura Clough Scudder (1881-1959), American entrepreneur who made and sold potato chips, first to package potato chips in sealed bags to extend freshness
- Henry Joel Scudder (1825-1886), American politician, United States Representative from New York
- Hubert Baxter Scudder, American politician, U.S. Representative from California
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
This page was last modified on 3 July 2013 at 14:55.
on orders of $85 or more