Origins Available: Borderlands
The name Rutterfithey comes from the proud Boernician
clans of the Scottish-English border region. The Rutterfithey family lived in the Parish of Maxton, where Rutherford was a town, near Roxburghshire
. The place name Rutherford is derived from the Old English words "hryder" meaning "cattle" and "ford," which is "a shallow part of a river."
Early Origins of the Rutterfithey family
The surname Rutterfithey was first found in the Parish of Maxton, town of Rutherford, county Roxburghshire
. The first bearers of Rutterfithey on record were two knights: Gregory and Nicholas de Rutherford.
Early History of the Rutterfithey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rutterfithey research.Another 533 words (38 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1215, 1249, 1285, 1296, 1361, 1411, 1413, 1451, 1493, 1448, 1580, 1664, 1st , 1600 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Rutterfithey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rutterfithey Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Rutherford, Rutterford, Rudderford, Rudford and others.
Early Notables of the Rutterfithey family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Andrew Rutherford (d. 1664), Scottish soldier of fortune, created 1st and only Earl of Teviot by Charles... Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rutterfithey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Rutterfithey family to Ireland
Some of the Rutterfithey family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 107 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Rutterfithey family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: James and George Rutherford settled in Virginia in 1716; Charles and John Rutherford settled in Boston in 1774; Adam, Alan, James, John, Joseph, Robert, Sarah, William Rutherford all arrived in Philadelphia between 1800 and 1870..
The Rutterfithey Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Nec sorte, nec fato
Motto Translation: Neither by chance nor destiny.