Retherford History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Retherford comes from the proud Boernician clans of the Scottish-English border region. The Retherford family lived in the Parish of Maxton, where Rutherford was a town, near Roxburghshire. The place name Rutherford is derived from the Old English words "hryder" meaning "cattle" and "ford," which is "a shallow part of a river."
Early Origins of the Retherford family
The surname Retherford was first found in the Parish of Maxton, town of Rutherford, county Roxburghshire. The first bearers of Retherford on record were two knights: Gregory and Nicholas de Rutherford.
Important Dates for the Retherford family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Retherford research. Another 267 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1215, 1249, 1285, 1296, 1361, 1411, 1413, 1451, 1493, 1448, 1580, 1600, 1661, 1600, 1664, 1600, 1661, 1577, 1506, 1582, 1552, 1695, 1779 and are included under the topic Early Retherford History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Retherford Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rutherford, Rutterford, Rudderford, Rudford and others.
Early Notables of the Retherford family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Samuel Rutherford (1600-1661), Scottish principal of St. Mary's College, St. Andrews, born about 1600 in the parish of Nisbet, now part of Crailing, Roxburghshire. 
Andrew Rutherford (d. 1664), was a Scottish soldier of fortune, created 1st and only Earl of Teviot by Charles II; and Samuel Rutherford (ca. 1600-1661), a Scottish theologian and controversialist, born at Nisbet, Roxburghshire, educated at Edinburgh University, where he...
Another 73 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Retherford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Retherford family to Ireland
Some of the Retherford family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Retherford migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Retherford Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Retherford Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Austin Retherford, aged 46, who immigrated to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1913
Contemporary Notables of the name Retherford (post 1700)
- Robert Curtis Retherford (1912-1981), American physicist, known for having revealed the Lamb shift in the fine structure of hydrogen
- Wes Retherford (b. 1984), American politician, Member of the Ohio House of Representatives (2013-)
- Claude Retherford (1926-1998), American politician, Mayor of Tulare, California, 1982-98 
You May Also Like
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html