Early Origins of the Pomphrey family
The surname Pomphrey was first found in the West Riding of Yorkshire
at Pontefract, a borough, markettown, and parish, in the Upper division of the wapentake
of Osgoldcross. "This place, which appears to have risen from the ruins of Legeolium, a Roman station in the vicinity, now Castleford, was by the Saxons
called Kirkby, and after the Conquest obtained the name of Pontfrete, according to some, from Pontfrete in Normandy
, whence sprang the Lacys, lords of Pontefract." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Early History of the Pomphrey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pomphrey research.Another 370 words (26 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1190, 1357, 1423, 1488, 1650, 1722, 1667, 1702, 1695 and 1721 are included under the topic Early Pomphrey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pomphrey Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Pomphray, Pomfrey, Pomfrett, Pomfret, Pomfray and others.
Early Notables of the Pomphrey family (pre 1700)
Notable among the family at this time was Samuel Pomfret (1650-1722), English divine, born at Coventry; John Pomfret (1667-1702), an English poet and clergyman, appointed rector of Maulden in Bedfordshire
in 1695. Born in Luton, Bedfordshire
, his father... Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pomphrey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pomphrey family to Ireland
Some of the Pomphrey family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 46 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pomphrey family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pomphrey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Pomphrey, who arrived in Maryland in 1663 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Pomphrey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Pomphrey, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1892
Pomphrey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John F. Pomphrey, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Henry Pomphrey, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1918
- John F. Pomphrey, aged 42, who emigrated to East Orange, New Jersey, in 1920
- Edward William Pomphrey, aged 24, who landed in America from London, England, in 1921
- Frederick J. Pomphrey, aged 40, who settled in America, in 1921
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Pomphrey Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Thomas C Pomphrey, aged 27, who settled in Toronto, Canada, in 1909
Contemporary Notables of the name Pomphrey (post 1700)
- Robert Henry "Bob" Pomphrey (b. 1944), former English cricketer