O'bannon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The O'bannon name is derived from the Gaelic ó Banàin, though there has been much confusion about this name involving the Irish Gaelic word bàn, which means "white."
Early Origins of the O'bannon family
The surname O'bannon was first found in the barony of Clonisk, in the southern tip of County Offaly (Irish: Uíbh Fháilí) originally the Kingdom of Uí Failghe, located in central Ireland in the Province of Leinster, where a Medieval Sept of this name was found.
Important Dates for the O'bannon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our O'bannon research. Another 140 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1152, 1172, 1316, 1319, 1585, 1659, 1796, 1798, 1842, and 1865 are included under the topic Early O'bannon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
O'bannon Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Banain, O'Bannon, Banim, O'Bannaghan, Bannaghan, O'Banan and many more.
Early Notables of the O'bannon family (pre 1700)
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early O'bannon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
O'bannon migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical O'bannon Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
O'bannon Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William O'Bannon, who was granted land in Virginia in 1764
O'bannon Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mannie O'Bannon, aged 42, who settled in America from Atlantic City, N.Y., in 1913
- Dermet O'Bannon, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1921
Contemporary Notables of the name O'bannon (post 1700)
- Frank O’Bannon (b. 1930), American politician, Governor of Indiana 1997 to 2003
- Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon, American Marine, who was the first to hoist an American flag over a captured enemy position (in 1805 in Tripoli). Four U.S. war ships have borne the USS O'Bannon name
- Daniel Thomas O'Bannon (b. 1946), American film writer and director, whose credits include "Night of the Living Dead" and "Alien"
- Rockne S. O’Bannon (b. 1955), American television writer and producer
- Presley O’Bannon (1776-1850), U.S. Marine Corps officer, famous for his exploits in the First Barbary War, eponym of the USS O'Bannon (DD-177), (DD-450) and (DD-987)
- Helen O’Bannon (1939-1988), American academic and economist
- Ed O’Bannon (b. 1972), American professional basketball player
- Dan O’Bannon (b. 1946), American screenwriter and film director
- Charles O’Bannon (b. 1975), American professional basketball player
You May Also Like