100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: French, German
Where did the French Mathis family come from? What is the French Mathis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mathis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mathis family history?As with many French family names, the distinguished surname Mathis is rich in ancient heritage. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in France were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The name Mathis is derived from the Hebrew Biblical given name Matityahu (Matthew), meaning gift of God.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mathieu, Mathieue, Mathieues, Mathieus, Mathieux, Mathis, Matieu, Matieue, Mathius, Matieues, Matieus, Matieux, Mathioux, Mathioue and many more.
First found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France where the family has held a family seat since early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mathis research. Another 475 words(34 lines of text) covering the years 1286, 1682, 1808, 1810, and 1865 are included under the topic Early Mathis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 35 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mathis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mathis Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Mathis, who landed in Virginia in 1636
Mathis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Jacob Mathis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
Mathis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christian Mathis, who arrived in New York in 1847
- Cathrine Mathis, aged 26, landed in New York, NY in 1852
- Jean Mathis, aged 57, arrived in New York, NY in 1852
- John C Mathis, who landed in Indiana in 1852
- Madeleine Mathis, aged 23, arrived in New York, NY in 1852
- Samantha Mathis (b. 1970), American Screen Actors Guild Award and Young Artist Award nominated actress, American Psycho (2000), Buried (2010) and Broken Arrow (1996)
- Robert Nathan Mathis (b. 1981), American NFL football outside linebacker for the Indianapolis Colts
- Reginald Levi Mathis (b. 1956), former American football linebacker who played from 1979 to 1990
- Rashean Jamil Mathis (b. 1980), American NFL football cornerback for the Detroit Lions
- Kevin Bryant Mathis (b. 1974), former American NFL football cornerback who played from 1997 to 2006
- Jeffrey Stephen "Jeff" Mathis (b. 1983), American Major League Baseball catcher for the Miami Marlin
- Douglas Alan "Doug" Mathis (b. 1983), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Clint Mathis (b. 1976), retired American soccer player and current assistant coach of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club
- Buster Mathis Jr. (b. 1970), American former professional boxer in the heavyweight division, son of Buster Mathis
- Terance Mathis (b. 1967), American former NFL wide receiver who played from 1990 to 2002
- The Mathis Family of Little Egg Harbor by Murray Harris.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
The Mathis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mathis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 April 2015 at 12:53.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!