on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: French, German
Where did the French Mathis family come from? What is the French Mathis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mathis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mathis family history?As with many French family names, the distinguished surname Mathis is rich in ancient heritage. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in France were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The name Mathis is derived from the Hebrew Biblical given name Matityahu (Matthew), meaning gift of God.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mathieu, Mathieue, Mathieues, Mathieus, Mathieux, Mathis, Matieu, Matieue, Mathius, Matieues, Matieus, Matieux, Mathioux, Mathioue and many more.
First found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France where the family has held a family seat since early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mathis research. Another 475 words(34 lines of text) covering the years 1286, 1682, 1808, 1810, and 1865 are included under the topic Early Mathis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 35 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mathis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mathis Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Mathis, who landed in Virginia in 1636
Mathis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Jacob Mathis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
Mathis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christian Mathis, who arrived in New York in 1847
- Cathrine Mathis, aged 26, landed in New York, NY in 1852
- Jean Mathis, aged 57, arrived in New York, NY in 1852
- John C Mathis, who landed in Indiana in 1852
- Madeleine Mathis, aged 23, arrived in New York, NY in 1852
- First Lieutenant Jack W Mathis, American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1943
- Buster Mathis (1943-1995), American heavyweight boxer
- Terance Mathis (b. 1967), American former NFL wide receiver who played from 1990 to 2002
- Johnny Mathis (b. 1935), American popular music singer, inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame and recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences
- James Christopher Mathis III (b. 1974), American voice actor, best known for providing the voices of Black Panther, Bulldozer and King Cobra in the animated television show The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
- Samantha Mathis (b. 1970), American actress, known for her roles in Little Women (1994), The American President (1995), Broken Arrow (1996), American Psycho (2000), and Atlas Shrugged: Part II (2012)
- Ana Mathis (b. 1959), American voice artist
- Gregory Ellis "Greg" Mathis (b. 1960), American retired Judge of the 36th District Court of the State of Michigan (1995-1998)
- Buster Mathis Jr. (b. 1970), American former professional boxer in the heavyweight division, son of Buster Mathis
- Clint Mathis (b. 1976), retired American soccer player and current assistant coach of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club
- The Mathis Family of Little Egg Harbor by Murray Harris.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
The Mathis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mathis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 February 2015 at 08:30.
on orders of $85 or more