100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Portuguese, Spanish
The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Lopez. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century. The name Lopez is composed of two elements: the given name Lope, which is itself derived from the Latin word "lopus," which means "wolf," and the Spanish patronymic suffix "-ez."
Spelling variations of this family name include: López, Lopez, Lope, Lobo, Lobato, Lóbez, Lobez and others.
First found in Old Castile in the heart of Spain, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lopez research. Another 209 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1236, 1033, 1180, 1186, 1214, 1215, 1232, 1332, 1407, 1363, 1412, 1398, 1458, 1455, 1501, 1555 and 1617 are included under the topic Early Lopez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 405 words (29 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lopez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Gabriel López, who emigrated to Chile in 1560
- Francisco López, who arrived in Hispaniola in 1561
- Jerónimo López, who emigrated to Colombia in 1561
- Ana López, who emigrated to Nicaragua in 1561
- Juana López, who emigrated to Peru in 1562 with her daughter Ana
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eliah Lopez, who landed in America in 1679
- Rachel Lopez, who arrived in America in 1679
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Moses Lopez, who landed in New York in 1740-1741
- Abigail Lopez, who arrived in Jamaica in 1750
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eusebio Lopez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Lucio Lopez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Juan Lopez, who arrived in America in 1810
- Luis Lopez, who landed in America in 1811
- Maria Lopez, who landed in America in 1811
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Fsmile Lopez, who landed in Texas in 1910
- Vito Joseph Lopez (1941-2015), American politician, Member of the New York State Assembly (1985-2013)
- Jennifer Lynn Lopez (b. 1969), American actress, singer, record producer, dancer, television personality, fashion designer and television producer
- Donald S. Lopez Sr. (1923-2008), former U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force fighter and test pilot and, until his death, the deputy director of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
- Barry Holstun Lopez (b. 1945), American author, essayist, and fiction writer
- Marco Antonio Lopez (b. 1978), American politician and United States Chief of Staff for Customs and Border Protection (2009-)
- Steven López (b. 1978), American 2000 and 2004 Olympic gold medalist in taekwondo
- Juan López Hita (1944-2014), Spanish professional footballer who played from 1963 to 1979, Member of the Spain National Team (1970-1972)
- Jesús López Cobos (b. 1940), Spanish conductor
- Feliciano López (b. 1981), Spanish professional tennis player
- António López García (b. 1936), Spanish painter and sculptor
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Lopez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lopez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 April 2016 at 18:08.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!