on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Portuguese, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Lopez family come from? What is the Spanish Lopez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Lopez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lopez family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Lopez. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century. The name Lopez is composed of two elements: the given name Lope, which is itself derived from the Latin word "lopus," which means "wolf," and the Spanish patronymic suffix "-ez."
Spelling variations of this family name include: López, Lopez, Lope, Lobo, Lobato, Lóbez, Lobez and others.
First found in Old Castile in the heart of Spain, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lopez research. Another 209 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1236, 1033, 1180, 1186, 1214, 1215, 1232, 1332, 1407, 1363, 1412, 1398, 1458, 1455, 1501, 1555 and 1617 are included under the topic Early Lopez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 405 words(29 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lopez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Francisco López de Gómara, one of Cortés' captains
- Gabriel López, who emigrated to Chile in 1560
- Francisco López, who arrived in Hispaniola in 1561
- Jerónimo López, who emigrated to Colombia in 1561
- Ana López, who emigrated to Nicaragua in 1561
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eliah Lopez, who landed in America in 1679
- Rachel Lopez, who arrived in America in 1679
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Moses Lopez, who landed in New York in 1740-1741
- Abigail Lopez, who arrived in Jamaica in 1750
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eusebio Lopez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Lucio Lopez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Juan Lopez, who arrived in America in 1810
- Luis Lopez, who landed in America in 1811
- Maria Lopez, who landed in America in 1811
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Fsmile Lopez, who landed in Texas in 1910
- Jennifer Lynn Lopez (b. 1969), American actress, singer, record producer, dancer, television personality, fashion designer and television producer
- Donald S. Lopez Sr. (1923-2008), former U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force fighter and test pilot and, until his death, the deputy director of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
- Steven López (b. 1978), American 2000 and 2004 Olympic gold medalist in taekwondo
- Marco Antonio Lopez (b. 1978), American politician and United States Chief of Staff for Customs and Border Protection (2009-)
- Barry Holstun Lopez (b. 1945), American author, essayist, and fiction writer
- António López García (b. 1936), Spanish painter and sculptor
- Feliciano López (b. 1981), Spanish professional tennis player
- Jesús López Cobos (b. 1940), Spanish conductor
- Juan López Hita (1944-2014), Spanish professional footballer who played from 1963 to 1979, Member of the Spain National Team (1970-1972)
- Héctor López (b. 1967), Mexican Olympic boxer
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
The Lopez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lopez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 February 2015 at 20:46.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more