on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Irish Kinney family come from? What is the Irish Kinney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kinney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kinney family history?The original Gaelic form of Kinney was Mac Cionaoith.
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations of the name Kinney dating from that time include MacKenna, MacKennagh, MacKenney, MacKenny, MacKinna, MacKinnie and many more.
First found in County Monaghan (Irish: Muineachán) located in the Northern part of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Ulster, at Truagh where they were known as the Lords of Truagh.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kinney research. Another 227 words (16 lines of text) covering the year 1544 is included under the topic Early Kinney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kinney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Kinney:
Kinney Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Sir Thomas Kinney, who arrived in America in 1625
Kinney Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Kinney, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1767
Kinney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eliza Kinney, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- George Kinney, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- William M Kinney, aged 46, arrived in New York in 1812-1813
- Peter Kinney, who arrived in New York in 1836
- Jeremiah Kinney, who landed in New York, NY in 1842
Kinney Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Kinney, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Joseph Soames"
Kinney Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Rose Kinney arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ernestina" in 1865
- Taylor Kinney (b. 1981), American actor and model
- Burt Orrin Kinney, American founder of Kinney Drugs, a chain of over 90 drug stores and pharmacies in 1903
- Walter William "Walt" Kinney (1893-1971), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- John Kinney (1847-1919), American outlaw of the Old West, founder of the John Kinney Gang
- Richard Timothy "Dick" Kinney (1917-1985), American animator and comic book writer
- George Romanta Kinney, American founder of G.R. Kinney Company, an American manufacturer and retailer of shoes in 1894
- Jay Kinney (b. 1950), American author, editor, and former underground cartoonist
- Kathy Kinney (b. 1954), American actress and comedian
- Jeffrey Bruce "Jeff" Kinney (b. 1949), American former professional football player
- Jack Ryan Kinney (1909-1992), American animator, director and producer of animated shorts
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
The Kinney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kinney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 December 2015 at 16:52.
on orders of $85 or more