100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Kinney family come from? What is the Irish Kinney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kinney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kinney family history?The original Gaelic form of Kinney was Mac Cionaoith.
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations of the name Kinney dating from that time include MacKenna, MacKennagh, MacKenney, MacKenny, MacKinna, MacKinnie and many more.
First found in County Monaghan (Irish: Muineachán) located in the Northern part of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Ulster, at Truagh where they were known as the Lords of Truagh.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kinney research. Another 227 words(16 lines of text) covering the year 1544 is included under the topic Early Kinney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kinney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Kinney:
Kinney Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Sir Thomas Kinney, who arrived in America in 1625
Kinney Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Kinney, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1767
Kinney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eliza Kinney, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- George Kinney, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- William M Kinney, aged 46, arrived in New York in 1812-1813
- Peter Kinney, who arrived in New York in 1836
- Jeremiah Kinney, who landed in New York, NY in 1842
Kinney Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Kinney, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Joseph Soames"
Kinney Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Rose Kinney arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ernestina" in 1865
- Abbott Kinney (1850-1920), American developer and founder of the city of Venice, California
- Dick Kinney (1917-1985), American Disney writer for Donald Duck and Scrooge McDuck stories
- Matthew John Kinney (b. 1976), American professional baseball pitcher
- Steven Kinney (b. 1987), American soccer player
- Joshua Thomas Kinney (b. 1979), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Kelvin Lamonta Kinney (b. 1972), American football defensive lineman
- Terry Kinney (b. 1954), American actor and theatre director
- Jack Ryan Kinney (1909-1992), American animator, director and producer of animated shorts
- Jeffrey Bruce "Jeff" Kinney (b. 1949), American former professional football player
- Kathy Kinney (b. 1954), American actress and comedian
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
The Kinney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kinney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 May 2015 at 14:08.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!