on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Kesler family come from? What is the German Kesler family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kesler family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kesler family history?The surname Kesler is a metonymic surname; it is derived from the principle object associated with the occupation of the original holder. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the German word "kezzel," which in turn comes from the Old German word "kezzil," which means "kettle" or "cauldron."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kessler, Kessller, Kesler, Kesller, Kesseler, Kesseller, Keseler, Keseller, Kaessler, Kaesler, Kaeseler, Kaesseler, Cessler, Cessller, Cesler, Cesller, Cesseler, Cesseller, Ceseler, Ceseller, Caessler, Caesler, Caeseler and many more.
First found in Hessen and the Rhineland, where the family became noted for its many branches within the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was sought by the princes of the region. Chronicles first mention Erbo Kesseler of Strasbourg in 1261, and Hans Kesseler of Breslau, Silesia, in 1384.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kesler research. Another 183 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1317, 1571, 1765, and 1803 are included under the topic Early Kesler History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kesler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kesler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Jacob Kesler, aged 25, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
- John Jacob Kesler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Leonard Kesler, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1763
- George Kesler, who arrived in New Jersey in 1763
- Abraham Kesler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
Kesler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Victor Kesler, aged 23, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1805
- Martin Kesler, who arrived in New York in 1834
- Jacques Kesler, who arrived in New York in 1836
- John Kesler, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1850
- M Kesler, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855
- John C. Kesler (b. 1899), American Democrat politician, County Judge in North Carolina, 1939-40; Member of North Carolina State Senate, 1945-48, 1959
- E. L. Kesler, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Utah, 1932
- C. C. Kesler, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1916
- A. Pratt Kesler, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Utah, 1952; U.S. Attorney for Utah, 1953-61; Utah State Attorney General, 1961-65
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
The Kesler Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kesler Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 October 2015 at 10:12.
on orders of $85 or more