100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German
The German state of Silesia
is the glorious birthplace of the distinguished surname Hoffman. This name is derived from the German word "hof" meaning "settlement" or "farm" and "mann" meaning "man." The name may have originally been born by someone who owned their land as opposed to working someone else's land, or perhaps by the manager, or steward of such an estate.
The surname Hoffman was first found in Silesia
, where the family became noted for its many branches within the region. Ancient chronicles first mention Otten Buzwoys Hoveman of Liegnitz, Silesia
(1383,) Hans Kosche Hoffman of Liegnitz (1558,) and Nickel Hofeman the belt-maker of Goerlitz (1425).
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hoffmann, Hofmann, Hoffman, Hofman, Hoeffmann, Hoefmann, Hoeffman, Hoefman, Hofemann, Hofeman, Hovemann, Hoveman and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hoffman research. Another 745 words (53 lines of text) covering the years 1712, 1540, 1627, 1778, 1845, 1827, 1803, 1789, 1616, 1679, 1640, 1692, 1653, 1719, 1683, 1750, 1685, 1715, 1669 and 1716 are included under the topic Early Hoffman History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 155 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hoffman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hoffman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henr Hoffman, who arrived in America in 1709-1711
- Henrig Hoffman, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Anna Catharina Hoffman, who landed in America in 1726
- Henerick Hoffman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1727
- David Hoffman, aged 8, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
Hoffman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cornelius Hoffman, aged 49, arrived in New York in 1801
- Franz Hoffman, aged 45, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Christopher Hoffman, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1834
- George Hoffman, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1839
- Gustav Hoffman, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840
Hoffman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Gotfried Hoffman, aged 8, arrived in America in 1901
- Daniel Hoffman, aged 16, landed in America in 1901
- Emma Hoffman, aged 3, arrived in New York, NY in 1901
- Fred Ernest Hoffman, who landed in Wisconsin in 1918
Hoffman Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Barbara Hoffman, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Caspar Hoffman, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Dorothea Hoffman, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Henrich Hoffman, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Mr. David Hoffman U.E. who settled in Ernest Town [Ernestown], Lennox & Addington, Ontario c. 1784
Hoffman Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- H.J. Hoffman arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "South Australian" in 1837
- G. Hoffman, a landman, arrived in South Australia in 1848 aboard the ship "Victoria"
Hoffman Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Hoffman arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1860
- Sophia Hoffman arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1860
- Frederick Hoffman arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1860
- Henry A. Hoffman arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1860
- Franz Hoffman, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Terpsichore" in 1876
- Alan Jerome Hoffman (b. 1924), American mathematician and IBM Fellow
- William Hoffman (1807-1884), American officer in the United States Army
- Trevor William Hoffman (b. 1967), American former baseball relief pitcher who played from 1993 to 2010
- Major-General Hugh French Thomason Hoffman (1896-1951), American Chief of Staff, 4th Army (1949-1950)
- Philip Seymour Hoffman (1967-2014), American Golden Globe and Academy Award winning actor, best known for his starring role in Capote (2005)
- Paul Gray Hoffman (1891-1974), American recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Dustin Lee Hoffman (b. 1937), American two-time Academy Award winning, six-time Golden Globe Award winning, four-time BAFTA Award and Emmy Award winning film star
- Jeffrey A. Hoffman PH.D. (b. 1944), American former NASA Astronaut with over 1,211 hours in space
- John H. Hoffman (b. 1886), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from West Virginia, 1944
- John M. Hoffman, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1952
- The Hoffman-Schnell Families; Being a History and Genealogy of the Families of Jacob Hoffman (1808-1869), Michael Schemel, Sr. (1812-1882), and Related Families by Larry Hoehn.
- Hoffmans in America in the 18th and 19th Centuries: A Source Book About People Bearing the Name of Hoffman, Huffman, Hofmann, etc., with Emphasis on Those Who Resided in Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, and Ohio by Ruth Vernette McKee.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Hoffman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hoffman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 January 2016 at 12:46.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!