Harmand History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished surname Harmand is of very ancient German origin. It is derived from a Germanic personal name made up of the elements "heri," meaning "army," and "man," meaning "man."
Early Origins of the Harmand family
The surname Harmand was first found in Prussia, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
Early History of the Harmand family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harmand research. Another 146 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1828, 1842, 1769, 1612, 1719, 1727, 1786, 1625, 1678, 1621, 1686, 1643, 1708, 1664, 1703, 1646, 1695, 1650 and 1734 are included under the topic Early Harmand History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Harmand Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Herman, Hermann, Herrman, Herrmann, Hörman, Hörmann, Hierman, Harmen, Harmand, Harman, Armand, Armant, Hermand, Arman, Erman, Ermann, Hearman, Hearmann, Harm, Harmsen, Harmson and many more.
Early Notables of the Harmand family (pre 1700)
Prominent bearers of the family name Harmand during this time period were Jobst Herman of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1625-1678), Count of Lippe, Sternberg and Schwalenberg; Augustine Herman, First Lord of Bohemia Manor (c.1621-1686), a Bohemian explorer, merchant, and cartographer; Johann Oswald Harms (1643-1708), a...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Harmand Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Harmand family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Heinrich Hermann, who emigrated from Alsace to Pennsylvania in 1750; Christian Herman, who settled in Philadelphia in 1752; Andrew Herman, who immigrated to Charleston, South Carolina in 1767.