100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The prestigious surname Gutierrez originated in Spain, a country which has figured prominently in world affairs for hundreds of years. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is "ez." The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The Visigoths, who ruled Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries had a profound impact on the development of surnames. This name originally derived from the baptismal name Gutierre.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gutiérrez, Gutierrez, Guter, Butre, Gutier, Wittier, Gutierre, Guterre, Guterres, Gut, Goter, Gauter, Gualter, Galter, Gulter, Baltar, Gutérriz, Guterriz, Gotérriz, Goterriz, Guteres, Gútrez, Gutrez, Gutérrez, Guterrez, Baltériz, Balteriz, Baldériz and many more.
First found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gutierrez research. Another 413 words (30 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gutierrez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gutierrez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Francisco Gutiérrez de Murcia, who participated in the conquest of New Granada in the 1530s
- Bartolomé Gutiérrez, who emigrated to Peru in 1560
- Juan Gutiérrez, traveled to New Spain in 1561 with his wife Ana and sons Antonio and Jerónimo
- Juan Gutiérrez, came to Chile in 1561
- Luis Gutiérrez, sailed to Cuba in 1562
Gutierrez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Angel Gutierrez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1802
- Cayetano Gutierrez, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Miguel Gutierrez, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Milian Gutierrez, who arrived in America in 1809
- Pedro Gutierrez, who landed in America in 1811
- Colonel (USAF, Ret.) Sidney McNeill Gutierrez (b. 1951), former NASA Astronaut with over 488 hours in space
- Matthew Paul Gutierrez (b. 1984), American football quarterback
- Luís Vicente Gutiérrez (b. 1953), American politician, member of the United States House of Representatives (1993-)
- Carlos Miguel Gutierrez (b. 1953), American former CEO and former U.S. Cabinet Member
- Armando Gutierrez (b. 1949), Cuban-American banker, political consultant and entrepreneur
- Franklin Gutiérrez (b. 1983), American Major League Baseball center fielder
- César D Gutiérrez (1943-2005), Venezuelan professional baseball player
- Judith Gutiérrez (1927-2003), master Latin American painter
- Gustavo Gutiérrez (b. 1928), Peruvian theologian, known as the father of liberation theology
- Alberto Diaz Gutiérrez (1928-2001), Cuban photographer, remembered for his famous image of Argentine Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
This page was last modified on 20 August 2015 at 02:27.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!