Duerson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The people known in ancient Scotland as the Picts were the forefathers of the Duerson family. It is a name for a pilgrim from the Gaelic word deoradh. The deoradh kept the relics of saints. The family have been the hereditary custodians of St. Fillan's Crozier. 
Early Origins of the Duerson family
The surname Duerson was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland. Dewarton is a village, in the parish of Borthwick, county of Edinburgh. It is here that the Dewar family have held the estate of Vogrie since early times. 
Important Dates for the Duerson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Duerson research. Another 122 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Duerson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duerson Spelling Variations
When the first dictionaries were invented in the last few hundred years, spelling gradually became standardized. Before that time, scribes spelled according to sound. Names were often recorded under different spelling variations every time they were written. Duerson has been written Dewar, Dure, Dewyer, Dewer, McIndeor, McJarrow and many more.
Early Notables of the Duerson family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Duerson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duerson migration to the United States
The crossing to North America did not seem so great in comparison with the hardships many Scots endured at home. It was long, expensive, and cramped, but also rewarding. North America offered land and the chance for settlers to prove themselves in a new place. And many did prove themselves as they fought to forge a new nation in the American War of Independence. The ancestors of those Scots can now experience much of their once-lost heritage through the Clan societies and highland games that have sprung up across North America in the last century. A search of immigration and passenger lists revealed many important, early immigrants to North America bearing the name of Duerson:
Typical Duerson Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Duerson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Duerson, who landed in Virginia in 1719 
Contemporary Notables of the name Duerson (post 1700)
- David Russell "Dave" Duerson (1960-2011), American former football safety in the National Football League who played from 1983 to 1993; he took his life on February 17, 2011, neurologists later confirmed he suffered from CTE
You May Also Like
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)